Thursday, September 12, 2013
JOHNSON CITY, Tenn. (Sept. 12, 2013) – The ETSU men’s and women’s tennis teams will begin their fall seasons this weekend as the men’s squad heads to Athens, Ga., to compete in the Southern Intercollegiate Championships while the women’s team travels to Elon, N.C. to take part in the Elon Fall Invitational.
- Last season, the Buccaneers won their conference-record seventh consecutive Atlantic Sun Tournament Championship, advancing to their 11th NCAA Tournament appearance in program history.
- ETSU graduated two key seniors, Jesus Bandres and Juan Ramirez, but return several key players, including All-Atlantic Sun First Team selection, Rogerio Ribeiro (Sao Paulo, Brazil).
- Ribeiro accrued 29 singles wins on the season, going 8-0 in A-Sun play.
- The Southern Intercollegiate Championships is the oldest fall college tennis tournament in America, having been played each year since 1968.
- This year’s tournament will consist of 170 players from 28 schools, including schools such as Georgia, Georgia Tech, Alabama, College of Charleston, Kentucky, Mercer, Stetson, Tennessee, and Vanderbilt, who ETSU lost to in the opening round of last year’s NCAA Tournament.
- The four-day tournament will be played from Friday to Monday.
- Featuring three players on the All-Atlantic Sun First Team, ETSU went unbeaten in conference play in 2012, earning the No. 1 seed in the A-Sun Tournament, before narrowly falling to North Florida in the tournament final.
- The Buccaneers return several players from last season’s squad, including reigning Atlantic Sun Freshman of the Year, Lyn Yee Choo (Kuching, Malaysia), and All-Atlantic Sun First Team honoree, Giulia Andreazza (Balneario Camboriu, Brazil).
- The doubles team of Choo and sophomore Anna Gerbasi (Caracas, Venezuela)returns after compiling a record of 24-10 last year.
- The duo went unbeaten in A-Sun play (8-0) and was ranked as high as No. 63 in the ITA National Doubles Poll.
- The three-day Elon Fall Invitational will be played from Friday to Sunday.
FOLLOW THE BUCS
- ETSU fans wanting to receive Buccaneer news, score updates, in-game promotions and much more sent to their mobile device can do so by signing up for “Buc Updates.” Click here to sign up today!