|Women's Tennis » News » Schedule » Roster » Coaches » Statistics|
ETSU rally falls short at Columbia, 5-2
Saturday, February 12, 2011
NEW YORK (Feb. 11, 2011) - Columbia got off to a strong start by winning the doubles point and the Lions held off a rally by ETSU in singles play to earn a 5-2 victory, Friday afternoon in women's tennis action.
With the victory, Columbia moves to a perfect 4-0 on the season, while ETSU falls to an even 2-2 on the young season.
"Overall it was great to see the ladies fight like never before," said ETSU assistant coach Travis Sandlant. "Columbia has a great team and when they won the doubles point it was huge for them as we were unlucky to lose two tiebreakers in a row. What was great today is that the team fought to the end. It was a match that could have easily gone either way, but unfortunately it did not turnout in our favor."
Columbia earned the doubles point after taking all three doubles matches. The wins did not come easy for the Lions, however, as they won two matches in tiebreakers. The ETSU team of Paula Jaime (Madrid, Spain) and Karina Kedzo (Puerto Ordaz, Venezuela) fell by just a single point at No. 1 doubles, while Tara Sheets (Gate City, Va.) and Kelly Holtzhausen (Johannesburg, South Africa) also fell in a tiebreaker at No. 2 doubles.
The singles portion of the match was just as close when three of the six matches went into three sets. However, the three matches that were straight set wins came from Columbia. The Lions earned victories at No. 1, No. 4, and No. 5 to clinch the victory.
The Bucs did get solid efforts from newcomer Marine Wieliczko (Rouen, France) and senior Andra Voinea (Brasov, Romania) as both earned victories. Wieliczko defeated Natasha Makarova after falling in the first set, 0-6, 6-1, 7-6. Voinea earned a tough three set victory over Ioana Alecsiu, 6-2, 2-6, 6-4.
"If we play and fight like we did today for the rest of the season, I believe the results on the board are going to go our way," added Sandlant.
The Bucs return to action on Sunday as they take on No. 40 Yale beginning at 11 a.m.
For more information on ETSU women's tennis please go to ETSUBucs.com and click on the women's tennis link. Also, be sure to follow ETSU athletics on Facebook and Twitter.
ETSU vs Columbia
Feb 11, 2011 at New York, N.Y.
Columbia 5, ETSU 2
1. Nicole Bartnik (COL) def. Paula Jaime (ETSU) 6-2, 6-4
2. Bianca Sanon (COL) def. Kelly Holtzhausen (ETSU) 6-3, 6-7, 10-7
3. Marine Wieliczko (ETSU) def. Natasha Makarova (COL) 0-6, 6-1, 7-6
4. Chelsea Davis (COL) def. Karina Kedzo (ETSU) 6-2, 6-3
5. Katarina Kovacevic (COL) def. Diana Navrostska (ETSU) 6-3, 6-3
6. Andra Voinea (ETSU) def. Ioana Alecsiu (COL) 6-2, 2-6, 6-4
1. Nicole Bartnik/Bianca Sanon (COL) def. Paula Jaime/Karina Kedzo (ETSU) 8-7
2. Nataska Makarova/Katarina Kovacevic (COL) def. Tara Sheets/Kelly Holtzhausen (ETSU), 9-8
3. Chelsea Davis/Tiana Takenaga (COL) def. Giulia Andreazza/Marine Wieliczko (ETSU), 8-4
Women's Tennis Archives
TEAM INFO CENTER
2010-11 Women's Tennis