BLACKSBURG, Va. (April 17, 2004) - The East Tennessee State women's tennis team fell to No. 38 in the ITA rankings, William & Mary, Saturday afternoon by a score of 4-0 in Blacksburg, Va. ETSU falls to 15-12 with the loss while William & Mary's overall record improves to 16-12.
William & Mary started the match by taking the doubles point with a sweep of all three matches. Mariya Ilyina (Kyiv, Ukraine) and Sylwia Ziolkowska (Warsaw, Poland) battled but dropped to No. 24 Megan Muth and Amy Wei in an 8-4 finish at the No. 1 slot. At No. 2, Jessica Irey (Clewiston, Fla.) and Gemma Halim (Jakarta, Indonesia) won 8-3 against Kristen Dunbar and Lingda Yang. In the No. 3 position, Courtney McInnis (Waterboro, Maine) and Aimee Villavicencio (Lexington, Ky.) were defeated 8-1 by Alex de Guzman and Emily Mowery.
In singles action, William & Mary won three quick matches to seal the win for their team.
Of the remaining three singles matches, Irey was leading for the Bucs in the No. 4 slot by a score of 6-3, 1-6, 2-0.
"I'm very happy about how we played against this topped ranked team, and all the matches were close," said head coach Steve Brooks. "This shows that we can play at this level."
The Bucs are scheduled to face #65 Virginia Tech later this evening.
William & Mary 4, ETSU 0
1. No. 24 Megan Muth/Amy Wei (W&M) def. Sylwia Ziolkowska/Mariya Ilyina (ETSU) 8-4
2. Gemma Halim/Jessica Irey (ETSU) def. Kristen Dunbar/Lingda Yang (W&M) 8-3
3. Alex de Guzman/Emily Mowery (W&M) def. Courtney McInnis/Aimee Villavicencio (ETSU) 8-1
Order of Finish: 3, 1, 2
1. No. 25 Megan Muth (W&M) def. Courtney McInnis (ETSU) 6-4, 6-2
2. Amy Wei (W&M) vs. Sylwia Ziolkowska (ETSU) - W&M leading 7-6 (7), 5-2
3. Emily Mowery (W&M) def. Gemma Halim (ETSU) 6-3, 6-4
4. Lingda Yang (W&M) vs. Jessica Irey (ETSU) - ETSU leading 6-3, 1-6, 2-0
5. Kristen Dunbar (W&M) def. Mariya Ilyina (ETSU) 6-0, 6-0
6.Alex de Guzman (W&M) vs. Tatiana Arriaran (ETSU) - W&M leading 6-4, 1-4
Order of Finish: 5, 1, 3*