ETSU makes final push for conference tournament bid
Thursday, October 24, 2013
NASHVILLE, Tenn. (Oct. 24, 2013) – Entering the final weekend of the regular season just two points shy of the sixth and final spot in the upcoming conference tournament, the ETSU women's soccer team will hit the road for a pair of crucial league match-ups against Lipscomb and Northern Kentucky.
GETTING UP TO SPEED
- Since starting league play with two wins in three tries, the Buccaneers (6-8-2, 2-4-1) have hit a rough patch, losing three of their last four contests.
- In its past four games, ETSU's 51st-ranked scoring offense has been held to just three goals. The Bucs averaged 2.42 goals per game through the first 12 matches of the season.
- To remain in contention for a bid to the conference tournament, ETSU will need to either beat or tie Lipscomb Friday, Oct. 25. ETSU has won its past four match-ups versus Lipscomb, outscoring the Bisons by an 8-1 margin.
- Both of ETSU's games this weekend can be viewed on ASun.TV through the links listed below.
LIPSCOMB – Friday, Oct. 25 at 7pm – LIVE STATS – VIDEO
- Friday's match will be the Bisons (5-6-5, 2-2-3) first home contest since Oct. 6 when the team tied first-place Florida Gulf Coast, 1-1. Lipscomb is coming off a three-match road trip in which it obtained results of a loss, win, and draw to Jacksonville, North Florida, and Northern Kentucky, respectively.
- The Bisons currently own possession of sixth place in the A-Sun standings, ranking just two points ahead of seventh-place ETSU. Only the top six teams will advance to the conference tournament.
- Lipscomb leads the Atlantic Sun for save percentage (0.830), while ranking third in the league for goals against average (1.11).
- The Bisons are paced by Ellen Lundy's conference-best 13 goals. Lundy ranks 13th in the nation for total goals, and has also dished out three assists this season.
NORTHERN KENTUCKY – Sunday, Oct. 27 at 1pm – LIVE STATS – VIDEO
- The Norse (4-10-2, 0-6-1) snapped a seven-match loss streak with a 0-0 tie against Lipscomb Oct. 19.
- Northern Kentucky is paced by Allison Ponzer and Sami Rutowski, who have eached scored three goals on the year.
- The Norse rank eighth in the A-Sun for goals per game (1.06) and goals against average (1.57).
- ETSU won its only meeting with Northern Kentucky, beating the Norse, 2-1, last season in Johnson City.
FOLLOW THE BUCS
- Receive live game updates and behind-the-scenes access of ETSU Women’s Soccer by following the newly-launched Twitter handle, @ETSUWSoccer.
- ETSU fans wanting to receive Buccaneer news, score updates, in-game promotions and much more sent to their mobile device can do so by signing up for “Buc Updates.” Click here to sign up today!