|Women's Golf » News » Schedule » Roster » Coaches » Statistics|
ETSU women’s golf set for NCAA East Regional starting May 8
Monday, April 28, 2014
JOHNSON CITY (April 28, 2014) – After having to wait a little less than two weeks, the ETSU women’s golf team now knows where it will be playing in the NCAA postseason.
Early Monday evening, the No. 44-ranked Buccaneers learned they would be playing in the NCAA East Regional hosted by Florida State University at the Southwood Golf Club in Tallahassee, Fla. The tournament will be held May 8-10 at the 6,654-yard, par-72 course, and the team will face a challenging field consisting of 24 teams in an effort to earn a spot in the NCAA Championships.
The top eight teams to finish in the each of the three regional tournaments – as well as the top two individuals who are not members of the top eight teams – will earn a spot in the NCAA Championships May 20-23 at the Tulsa Country Club in Tulsa, Okla.
This will be the Bucs’ fourth trip all-time to NCAA postseason play. The team is still looking to advance past the regional stage for the first time in school history.
“We are excited to be traveling to Tallahassee, and because we’ve competed with several of these teams throughout the year, we know we can outplay them and advance to the NCAA Championships,” said ETSU head coach Stefanie Shelton, whose team earned its spot in the NCAA field by capturing its second straight Atlantic Sun Conference title earlier this month. “There’s a nice mix of strong teams in this field – with our team being one of them. I feel this is a great year to relax, play our best and believe we can advance.
“A trip to nationals will be a great reward for this team, especially following a year of such consistent play. I really think this team has what it takes and can make history.”
Shelton also pointed out the unique success and achievements of the team this year.
“We currently have the highest ranking in our program’s history – with a rank of 44out of 265 NCAA Division I teams,” said Shelton, whose team is seeded 15th. “This team has been special, and they want to keep setting new standards and goals for the program.
The field for the NCAA East Regional will include the following teams:
1. Duke University (Atlantic Coast Conference)
2. University of South Carolina, Columbia
3. Stanford University (Pac-12 Conference)
4. Vanderbilt University (Southeastern Conference)
5. Pepperdine University (West Coast Conference)
6. University of Central Florida
7. University of Virginia
8. Auburn University
9. North Carolina State University
10. Florida State University
11. University of Kentucky
12. Tulane University (Conference USA)
13. University of Louisville (American Athletic Conference)
14. Baylor University
15. East Tennessee State University (Atlantic Sun Conference)
16. University of Georgia
17. Campbell University (Big South Conference)
18. East Carolina University
19. Texas State University-San Marcos
20. College of Charleston (Colonial Athletic Association)
21. Troy University (Sun Belt Conference)
22. Murray State University (Ohio Valley Conference)
23. Seton Hall University (Big East Conference)
24. Alabama State University (Southwestern Athletic Conference)
For more on the ETSU women’s golf team throughout the NCAA postseason, visit ETSUBucs.com and click on the women’s golf link.
Women's Golf Archives
TEAM INFO CENTER
2013-14 Women's Golf