Thursday, October 03, 2013
ETSU visits North Florida for conference opener
JOHNSON CITY, Tenn. (Oct. 3, 2013) – After wrapping up a challenging non-conference schedule, the ETSU men’s soccer team will open league play at North Florida Friday, Oct. 4 at 7:00 p.m. The Buccaneers were the lone Atlantic Sun team to crack the Top 50 in the NCAA’s most recent RPI rankings.
GETTING UP TO SPEED
- ETSU earned the No. 50 spot in the NCAA RPI rankings, an assessment of teams based on wins, losses, and strength of schedule. The Bucs and North Florida (No. 75) were the only two A-Sun teams to be ranked in the RPI Top 100.
- ETSU faced off against five teams who ranked in the RPI Top 50, picking up a win over No. 33 UAB, and tying No. 31 Winthrop and No. 45 Memphis.
- The Buccaneers (2-3-3) sport a shutout percentage of 0.63, good for ninth in the nation.
- Excepting ETSU’s 5-0 loss to Furman, the Bucs’ defense has been exceptional this season, boasting a goals against average of 0.90 and a save percentage of 0.789—both of which lead the Atlantic Sun.
- However, having endured multiple injuries to several top scoring options, ETSU’s scoring offense (0.38 goals per game) ranks among the bottom of the A-Sun.
LAST TIME OUT
- ETSU and Radford played to a 0-0 draw in 110 minutes of action, with the Bucs’ Ryan Coulter (Dublin, Ireland) recording his league-best fifth save of the season.
SCOUTING THE OSPREYS
- North Florida will enter Friday’s match riding a two-match loss streak after a pair of road setbacks at Florida Atlantic University and Wofford.
- The Ospreys (4-2-1) are paced by Alex Morrell (two goals and three assists) who ranks among the Atlantic Sun leaders for assists.
- North Florida goalkeeper Brad Sienkiewicz is tied with ETSU’s Coulter for the league lead in save percentage (0.778).
- Learn more about North Florida by viewing the Ospreys' cumulative stats and quick facts.
- ETSU has won its last four match-ups against against North Florida, including a commanding 4-0 victory last season in Johnson City.
- Live stats provided by North Florida can be found here.
FOLLOW THE BUCS
- Receive live game updates and behind-the-scenes access of ETSU Men’s Soccer by following the Bucs' Twitter handle, @ETSUMSoccer.
- ETSU fans wanting to receive Buccaneer news, score updates, in-game promotions and much more sent to their mobile device can do so by signing up for “Buc Updates.” Click here to sign up today!
- For more information on Buccaneer athletics, visit ETSUBucs.com.