|News » Archives|
Men’s Golf opens fall season Saturday in Chapel Hill
Friday, September 13, 2013
CHAPEL HILL, N.C. (Sept. 13, 2013) – The ETSU men’s golf team opens its 2013 fall season this weekend as the Bucs head to Chapel Hill, N.C., for the Tar Heel Intercollegiate. This marks the first of six fall tournaments for the Blue and Gold.
ABOUT THE THIS WEEKEND’S TOURNAMENT
- The teams begin the tournament with 36 holes on Saturday, while the final 18 holes are contested Sunday. The tournament will be played at UNC Finley Golf Course.
- There will be a shotgun start on Saturday at 8:30 a.m. On Sunday, tee times begin at 7:30 a.m., with the golfers starting from the No. 1 and No. 10 tees.
- North Carolina is the tournament host and Duke is returning to defend its title. The Blue Devils held off the Tar Heels by six strokes in 2012.
- ETSU opened the fall season at this tournament last year and the Bucs finished fifth in the 14-team field. Gudmundur Kristjansson (Reykjavik, Iceland) and Rhys Pugh (Pontypridd, Wales) both finished in the top-10. Kristjansson tied for sixth after registering a 2-under-par 214, while Pugh finished ninth at 1-under 215.
- ETSU is one of 14 teams in this weekend’s tournament field. Joining the Bucs and host Tar Heels are: Boston College, Davidson, Duke, East Carolina, Furman, Gardner-Webb, Georgia Tech, Maryland, NC State, UNC Greensboro, UNC Wilmington, and VCU.
- Georgia Tech (8th), Duke (13th), and North Carolina (50th) are all ranked in the top-50 of the latest Golfweek/Sagarin rankings.
- UNC Finley Golf Course is a par-72, 7,242-yard course. The course was designed by Tom Fazio, and it’s one of the finest daily-fee courses in the state of North Carolina.
- Golf Channel’s GolfNow ranked UNC Finley Golf Course number one in the Raleigh/Durham area.
- ETSU’s lineup features one junior, three sophomores and a freshman. Joining Pugh and Kristjansson are sophomores Adrian Meronk (Wroclaw, Poland) and Chris Hickman (Centreville, Md.), while freshman Mateusz Gradecki (Oborniki Śląskie, Poland) makes his collegiate debut this weekend.
- The Bucs are grouped with Duke and NC State on Saturday.
- Fans can follow all the scoring live on Golfstat.com, while full recaps with scores will be available at ETSUBucs.com at the conclusion of play each day.
- Click here to access live scoring.
ETSU fans wanting to receive Buccaneer news, score updates, in-game promotions and much more sent to their mobile device can do so by signing up for “Buc Updates.” Click here to sign up today!
For more information on Buccaneer men’s golf, visit ETSUBucs.com and click on the men’s golf page.