Thursday, September 12, 2013
Bucs will try to halt nation’s highest-scoring offense in UAB
JOHNSON CITY, Tenn. (Sept. 12, 2013) – Continuing a difficult non-conference schedule, the ETSU men’s soccer team will head to Birmingham, Ala., this weekend to take part in the 16th annual UAB “Soccer for a Cure” Classic. While there, the Buccaneers will play cross-state opponent Memphis Friday, Sept. 13 at 5:30 p.m. and No. 8 UAB Sunday, Sept. 15 at 3:30 p.m.
LAST TIME OUT
- ETSU extended its home unbeaten streak to six matches with a 0-0 draw against Winthrop. The Buccaneers (1-1-1) outshot Winthrop 17-9.
- Senior goalkeeper Ryan Coulter (Dublin, Ireland) recorded his program-best 17thshutout, ranking fifth on the Atlantic Sun all-time list. In three starts, Coulter boasts a save percentage of .889 and a goals allowed average of 0.31.
- Senior forward David Geno (Kingsport, Tenn.) made his season debut, playing 45 minutes, after sitting out the team’s opening two matches with an injury.
- The Tigers (3-1-0) will enter Friday’s match riding a two-match win streak following wins over UMKC and Oral Roberts. Memphis’ lone loss of the season came on the road against Cal State Northridge.
- In four matches, Memphis has scored five goals, while also allowing five goals.
- The Tigers are paced by defender Hunter Danna who has recorded two goals on the year. Danna has scored on his only two shot attempts.
- Learn more about Memphis checking out the team’s cumulative stats.
- The host Blazers (3-0-0) feature the nation’s highest-scoring offense, averaging 3.67 goals per game through three games.
- Junior forward Diego Navarrete’s three points per game rank second in the country.
- Two of UAB’s three wins have come at home against Top 25 teams. The Blazers picked up a 4-0 win over No. 24 VCU Aug. 30, before knocking off No. 8 Indiana in overtime, 2-1, Sept. 6.
- The Blazers were ranked No. 8 in both the NSCAA/Continental Tires Poll and Soccer America Rankings this week. The No. 8 ranking is UAB’s highest ranking since 2003 when the team started 6-0-2.
- UAB reached the 2012 NCAA Tournament, losing to Charlotte in the opening round. UAB and Charlotte will face off Friday night at 8 p.m. following ETSU’s match with Memphis. Live stats for the UAB/Charlotte match can be accessed here.
- Learn more about UAB by viewing the team’s quick facts and cumulative stats.
- Live stats for Friday’s match versus Memphis can be accessed by clicking here.
- Live stats for Sunday’s match versus No. 8 UAB can be accessed by clicking here.
- Sunday’s match will be televised through CBSSports.com, however a fee is required to access the feed. Click here for details.
FOLLOW THE BUCS
- Receive live game updates and behind-the-scenes access of ETSU Women’s Soccer by following the newly-launched Twitter handle, @ETSUMSoccer.
- ETSU fans wanting to receive Buccaneer news, score updates, in-game promotions and much more sent to their mobile device can do so by signing up for “Buc Updates.” Click here to sign up today!