|News » Archives|
Bucs continue difficult non-conference slate, fall to Georgia State
Saturday, February 08, 2014
ATLANTA (Feb. 8, 2014) – The ETSU men’s tennis team continued its difficult non-conference schedule Saturday, suffering a narrow 4-3 loss at Georgia State.
The Buccaneers (2-7) split the singles decisions with Georgia State; however, the Panthers (3-5) were able to capture the doubles point by winning at the No. 1 and No. 3 doubles spots.
“Congratulations to Georgia State University,” ETSU head coach Yaser Zaatini said. “They wanted it more than we did today, that is for sure. They seemed hungrier than us and competed with a sense of urgency that we were certainly lacking.”
Freshmen David Biosca (Sant Fruitos De Bage, Spain), Conner Huertas Del Pino (Lima, Peru), and Ismael Merino (Lima, Peru) earned victories for ETSU, winning at No. 1, No. 4, and No. 5 singles, respectively.
“We just have to collect ourselves and keep competing,” Zaatini said. “It’s been a long start to the year and it is certainly not getting easier.”
The Bucs will face their eighth nationally-ranked opponent in 10 matches as they take on No. 61 Wichita State Sunday, Feb. 9 at 10:00 a.m.
Georgia State 4, #67 ETSU 3
1. David Biosca (ETSU) def. Cook, Thomas (GSU) 6-3, 6-4
2. Schulze, Robert (GSU) def. Diego Nunez (ETSU) 6-5 (7-3), 6-4
3. Koeke, Jannis (GSU) def. Sebastian Yllera (ETSU) 6-0, 6-4
4. Conner Huertas (ETSU) def. Jaworski, Felipe (GSU) 6-0, 6-4
5. Ismael Merino (ETSU) def. Horvat, Valentin (GSU) 6-2, 6-1
6. Chevallier, Sofiane (GSU) def. Roger Ordeig (ETSU) 6-5 (8-6), 6-2
1. Cook, Thomas/Schulze, Robert (GSU) def. Ismael Merino/Diego Nunez (ETSU) 6-4
2. David Biosca/Sebastian Yllera (ETSU) def. Horvat, Valentin/Gochnauer, Christian (GSU) 6-1
3. Koeke, Jannis/Chevallier, Sofiane (GSU) def. Ricardo Pabon/Conner Huertas (ETSU) 6-5 (9-7)
Order of finish: Doubles (2,1,3); Singles (3,4,1,2,5,6)