|News » Archives|
Men’s soccer heads to Presbyterian for early-season rematch
8/31/2012 | Clinton, S.C. | Attendance: 326
Thursday, August 30, 2012
Bucs looking to ride momentum after defeating UNCG
CLINTON, S.C. (Aug. 30, 2012) – With the first win of the 2012 season under its belt, the ETSU men's soccer team concludes the August schedule on Friday when it heads to Edins Field at Martin Stadium for another early-season matchup against Presbyterian at 7 p.m.
ETSU (1-1-0) is in the midst of three games in six days, which began on Tuesday with a win over regionally ranked UNC Greensboro. David Geno (Kingsport, Tenn.) put in the first two Buccaneer goals of the season, and later added an assist to amass five points and set the new school record for points in a single game. Nate Hodges (Meridian, Miss.) sent in the third goal to close out the scoring in the 58th minute, as ETSU won its third straight home opener, 3-1.
Presbyterian (1-1-0, 1-0-0 Big South) enters Friday with an identical record to ETSU, and is also on the heels of a victory, 2-1, in its conference opener over Longwood. A minute into the second overtime, the Blue Hose drew a foul in the 18-yard box, setting up a game-winning penalty kick by Jonny Mercado. The win was PC's second straight in a Big South opener after defeating VMI, 3-1, to kick off conference play last year.
PC played then-No. 20 Furman in its season opener last Friday, falling to the Paladins at home, 3-0.
The Buccaneers are a game up on Presbyterian in the all-time series, defeating the Blue Hose in their only other meeting, 3-0, in last year's home opener at Summers-Taylor Stadium. Geno, Theo Yang (Lilburn, Ga.) and former Buc Aaron Schoenfeld (Knoxville, Tenn.) were the three goal scorers in that contest.
Live stats will be provided for Friday night's game courtesy of StatBroadcast.com. Live video will also be available via BigSouthSports.com. Fans wishing to watch the game can make a one-time purchase for $4.95.
- ETSU is coming off a, 3-1, win in its home opener against UNC Greensboro. Geno scored two-first half goals and recorded his first assist of the season, totaling five points to set the new ETSU record for points in a single game.
- The Bucs defeated Presbyterian, 3-0, in last year’s season opener. This will be the first meeting between the two teams at PC.
- ETSU is currently 13-21-1 all-time in road games. The only tie came Sept. 13, 2009 at Virginia Tech, 2-2. In non-conference play, ETSU is 7-8-1 all-time on the road.
- Geno currently sits one assist behind Schoenfeld for most career assists after earning his first of the season against UNCG.
- Presbyterian is playing its third straight home game to start the season, having lost to Furman last Friday and defeated Longwood in its conference opener on Tuesday.
For more information on ETSU men’s soccer, please visit ETSUBucs.com and click on the men’s soccer links.