|News » Archives|
ETSU finishes eighth at Bank of Tennessee Intercollegiate
Monday, October 18, 2010
JONESBOROUGH, Tenn. (Oct. 17, 2010) - The ETSU men's golf team fired their lowest round of the tournament on Sunday and moved up the leaderboard to finish eighth at the Bank of Tennessee Intercollegiate at The Ridges. The Bucs posted a 6-under 282 on Sunday thanks to four under-par rounds.
Junior Peter Wilson (Locust Valley, N.Y.) led the way for the Bucs during the final round with a solid 3-under 69. Wilson had five birdies and two bogeys during his round, including four birdies and no bogeys on the front nine. He finished the tournament tied for 16th at 1-over par (74-74-69—217). The final round 69 and the 16th place finish were both collegiate career lows.
Devin Komline (Dorset, Vt.) finished the event tied for 16th with Wilson at 1-over (76-70-71—217) on the weekend. He fired a final round 1-under 71 to finish the tournament with back-to-back under par rounds. Komline has also recorded back-to-back top-20 finishes this year.
No. 25 Virginia fired their second straight 10-under par 278 to claim the team title at 11-under overall. Kent State was the only other team under-par for the event as they finished in second at 7-under. Chattanooga moved up the board after a final round 282 to finish in third place. No. 24 Wake Forest claimed fourth (+3), while No. 29 Michigan and Tennessee tied for fifth at (+9). North Carolina finished seventh (+12), followed by ETSU (+14), UNC Wilmington (+15), Virginia Tech (+15), Missouri (+21), Louisville (+24), Coastal Carolina (+25), and Denver (+49).
Mackenzie Hughes of Kent State claimed the individual title with a 13-under 203 after posting a final round 65, tying for low round of the day and low round of the tournament. The 203 total by Hughes also marks the new 54-hole tournament record. Joey Garber of Michigan and Ben Rusch of Virgina tied for second at 6-under. Stephan Jaeger of Chattanooga, Jace Long of Missouri, and Darren Renwick of Tennessee rounded out the top-five as each finished at 5-under.
ETSU's Patrick Spraggs (Rochford, England) and Spencer Lawson (Raleigh, N.C.) each finished the tournament with solid 1-under 71s. Spraggs finished tied for 48th (76-78-71—225), while Lawson tied for 55th (79-78-71—228).
Paul O'Kane (Castledawson, Northern Ireland) was ETSU's third highest finished as he tied for 35th (79-69-75—223). O'Kane fired a 3-over 75 on Sunday's final round.
ETSU returns to action Oct. 24-26 at the United States Collegiate Championship in Alpharetta, Ga.
For more information on the ETSU men's golf team please go to ETSUBucs.com and click on the men's golf link. Also, be sure to follow ETSU Athletics on Facebook and Twitter.
Bank of Tennessee Intercollegiate at The Ridges
The Ridges Golf and Country Club
Par 72, 7147 yards
1. Virginia 297-278-278-853
2. Kent State 291-280-286-857
3. Chattanooga 299-283-282-864
4. Wake Forest 300-282-285-867
5. Michigan 303-290-280-873
5. Tennessee 299-290-284-873
7. North Carolina 295-290-291-876
8. ETSU 305-291-282-878
9. UNC Wilmington 296-282-301-879
9. Virginia Tech 300-291-288-879
11. Missouri 295-289-301-885
12. Louisville 309-295-284-888
13. Coastal Carolina 305-295-289-889
14. Denver 314-296-303-913
1. Mackenzie Hughes, Kent State 72-66-65-203
2. Ben Rusch, Virginia 72-69-71-210
2. Joey Garber, Michigan 72-67-71-210
4. Stephan Jaeger, Chattanooga 73-70-68-211
4. Jace Long, Missouri 70-68-73-211
4. Darren Renwick, Tennessee 71-71-69-211
4. John Hahn, Kent State 68-72-71-211
8. Jack Fields, North Carolina 72-70-70-212
8. Benjamin Weilguni, Chattanooga 71-69-72-212
10. Lee Bedford, Wake Forest 73-70-65-213
10. Amory Davis, Virginia 72-70-71-213
16. Devin Komline 76-70-71-217
16. Peter Wilson 74-74-69-217
35. Paul O'Kane 79-69-75-223
48. Patrick Spraggs 76-78-71-225
55. Spencer Lawson 79-78-71-228