|News » Archives|
ETSU men's tennis defeats #50 San Diego State, 4-3
Saturday, February 25, 2006
SAN DIEGO, Calif. (Feb. 25, 2006) - In what head coach Yaser Zaatini called the biggest victory in the history of ETSU's men's tennis program, the Buccaneers defeated No. 50 San Diego State, 4-3 at the Aztec Tennis Center. The Bucs are now 7-5 on the season while the Aztecs fall to 3-3.
Action began with the Buccaneers claiming the doubles point with wins coming from the No. 1 and No. 3 positions. At the No. 1 doubles position, junior Oscar Posada (
The Bucs took a 2-0 lead when Sebastian Serrano defeated Robert Sabo, 6-3, 6-0 in the No. 6 position. The Aztecs then battled back with Stephan Timu defeating Lisandro Picardo in the No. 5 position, 6-4, 6-3. Freshman Enrique Olivares then defeated Anthony Gomez, 6-2, 6-2 in the No. 4 position, while freshman Juan Crosa defeated Christian Groh, 6-4, 7-5 to clench the match. In the No. 1 position Oscar Posada was defeated by Benedikt Stronk while Felix Insaurralde was defeated by No. 99 Markus Dickhardt in the No. 2 singles slot.
"I think the team came together extremely well this week, they played well and we're getting the quality of tennis that I think these guys are capable of producing," said Zaatini.
The Buccaneers will play their final match in the
ETSU 4, SDSU 3
2) No. 99 Markus Dickhardt (SDSU) def. Felix Insaurralde (ETSU), 4-6, 7-5, 7-5.
3) Juan Crosa (ETSU) def. Christian Groh (SDSU), 6-4, 7-5.
4) Enrique Olivares (ETSU) def. Anthony Gomez (SDSU), 6-2, 6-2.
5) Stephan Timu (SDSU) def. Lisandro Picardo (ETSU), 6-4, 6-3.
6) Sebastian Serrano (ETSU) def. Robert Sabo (SDSU), 6-3, 6-0.
2) Groh/Romero (SDSU) def. Insaurralde/Picardo (ETSU), 8-7 (5).
3) Olivares/Serrano (ETSU) def. Timu/Sabo (SDSU), 8-5.