|News » Archives|
Men's tennis opens SoCon action with 6-1 win over Cougars
Thursday, March 03, 2005
CHARLESTON, S.C. (Mar. 3, 2005) - The East Tennessee State University men's tennis won their first SoCon match of the 2005 season against tennis rival the College of Charleston 6-1 at Patriot's Point. With the win, the Bucs improve to 5-3 overall, 1-0 in the SoCon, while the Cougars fall to 4-2, 1-1 with the loss.
In doubles action, wins came from Oscar Posada (Valencia, Venezuela) and Fernando Fiuri (Villa Maria, Argentina) at No. 1 and Moisés Serrano (Bucaramanga, Colombia) and Sebastian Serrano (Bucaramanga, Colombia) at No. 3.
In singles, Felix Insaurralde (Asunción, Paraguay) was one of five Buccaneers to collect a point. Insaurralde's win at No. 3 came against last year's SoCon Player of the Year, the Cougar's Or Dekel in a 6-3, 6-0 final. Other wins came from Posada at No. 1 (6-4, 6-2), from Fiuri at No. 2 (5-7, 6-4, 6-3), Lisandro Picardo (Mar del Plata, Argentina) at No. 5 (6-2, 6-2) and S. Serrano at No. 6 (4-6, 6-4, 16-14).
"I'm very proud of how the guys played and hopefully this is the start of good things ahead," stated head coach Yaser Zaatini.
The Bucs continue SoCon action in Charleston as they face The Citadel on Saturday, March 5, 2005 at 2:00 p.m.
ETSU 6, College of Charleston 1
1. Posada/Fiuri (ETSU) d. Koller/Siebert (CofC) 9-7
2. Petit/Moldhenke (CofC) d. Insaurralde/Picardo (ETSU) 9-7
3. M. Serrano/S.Serrano (ETSU) d. Malina/Allen (CofC) 8-6
1. Oscar Posada (ETSU) d. Timo Siebert (CofC) 6-4, 6-2
2. Fernando Fiuri (ETSU) d. Bastian Moldhenke (CofC) 5-7, 6-4, 6-3
3. Felix Insaurralde (ETSU) d. Or Dekel (CofC) 6-3, 6-0
4. Justin Malina (CofC) d. Moises Serrano (ETSU) 7-5, 6-3
5. Lisandro Picardo (ETSU) d. Liran Kling (CofC) 6-2, 6-2
6. Sebastian Serrano (ETSU) d. Phillip Koller (CofC) 4-6, 6-4, 16-14