|News » Archives|
ETSU men's tennis edges University of Texas San Antonio, 5-2
Saturday, March 12, 2005
JOHNSON CITY, Tenn. (Mar. 12, 2005) - The Buccaneer men's tennis extended recorded their sixth straight match win with a 5-2 victory over the University of Texas San Antonio at Memorial Center on Saturday afternoon. With the win, ETSU improves to 8-3 overall, while UTSA drops to 7-2.
The Bucs opened action with their best doubles play of the season, sweeping all three slots for the point. At No. 2 ETSU's Felix Insaurralde (Asunción, Paraguay) and Lisandro Picardo (Mar del Plata, Argentina) defeated Jonas Hoglund and Hetori Chaves 8-4. The pair of Oscar Posada (Valencia, Venezuela) and Fernando Fiuri (Villa Maria, Argentina) then won their match at No. 1 over Ricardo Almeida and Dennis Andrade 8-6. Moisés Serrano (Bucaramanga, Colombia) and Sebastian Serrano (Bucaramanga, Colombia) wrapped up doubles action with a 9-7 win at No. 3 over Anthony Portois and Adam Becker.
"This is the best we have played in doubles as a team and I hope we can continue this style of play," said Head Coach Yaser Zaatini.
In singles action, ETSU picked up the first two points from Insaurralde at No. 3 (6-4, 6-2) and Picardo at No. 5 (6-2, 6-1). UTSA then responded with two wins at the second and fourth slots. However, the Bucs clinched the match at No. 6 with a 6-7, 6-4, 6-4 win by S. Serrano over Chaves. Rounding up singles play, Posada battled Portois at No. 1 to a 4-6, 6-4, 7-6 (8-6) victory.
"UTSA is a strong team and they have very aggressive players," stated Zaatini. "I liked the way the team came together and that some of the younger players stepped up when we needed them."
The Bucs return to action on Thursday, March 17 when they travel to face SoCon opponent Davidson. Match time is set for 2:00 p.m.
ETSU 5, University of Texas San Antonio 2
1. Posada/Fiuri (ETSU) d. Almeida/Andrade (UTSA) 8-6
2. Insaurralde/Picardo (ETSU) d. Hoglund/Chaves (UTSA) 8-4
3. M. Serrano/S.Serrano (ETSU) d. Portois/Becker (UTSA) 9-7
Order of Finish: 2,1,3
1. Oscar Posada (ETSU) d. Anthony Portois (UTSA) 4-6, 6-4, 7-6 (8-6)
2. Dennis Andrade (UTSA) d. Fernando Fiuri (ETSU) 6-4, 6-4
3. Felix Insaurralde (ETSU) d. Ricardo Almeida (UTSA) 6-4, 6-2
4. Jonas Haglund (UTSA) d. Moisés Serrano (ETSU) 6-4, 6-2
5. Lisandro Picardo (ETSU) d. Joe Olfindo (UTSA) 6-2, 6-1
6. Sebastian Serrano (ETSU) d. Hetori Chaves (UTSA) 6-7, 6-4, 6-4
Order of Finish: 5,3,2,4,6*,1
* - Clinching Point