|News » Archives|
Men's tennis picks up seventh straight win, defeats Wildcats 6-1
Thursday, March 17, 2005
DAVIDSON, N.C. (Mar. 17, 2005) - The East Tennessee State men's tennis team handed Davidson it's first SoCon loss of the season on Thursday afternoon. With their seventh straight match victory, the Bucs are 9-3 overall and remain perfect in the SoCon 3-0, while Davidson drops to 7-6, 2-1.
For the sixth straight match, ETSU started the mach by winning the doubles point. Oscar Posada (Valencia, Venezuela) and Fernando Fiuri (Villa Maria, Argentina) paired at No. 1 to defeat Donald Miles and Russ Burns, 8-3. At No. 2 ETSU's Felix Insaurralde (Asunción, Paraguay) and Lisandro Picardo (Mar del Plata, Argentina) beat Daniel Bermeo and John Bolton 8-5, while at No. 3 Moisés Serrano (Bucaramanga, Colombia) and Sebastian Serrano (Bucaramanga, Colombia) outlasted Joe Cheaney and Simihaian 9-8 (5).
In singles, the Bucs won their five points in straight sets. Insaurralde posted his eighth consecutive win at No. 3 with a 6-1, 6-1 win over Bolton. Freshman Daniel Escobedo (Woodland Hills, Calif.) picked up his first win as a Buc at No. 6 in a 6-3, 6-3 victory over Jay Chitty. Davidson's lone point of the day came at No. 5 with a three-set victory over freshman Picardo.
"We're playing solid at singles and playing better at doubles, but still have a lot of work to do to get to where we need to be," said Head Coach Yaser Zaatini.
Southern Conference action continues for the Bucs next Wednesday, March 23 when they host Furman at 2:30 p.m.
ETSU 6, Davidson 1
1. Posada/Fiuri (ETSU) d. Miles/Burns (DAV) 8-3
2. Insaurralde/Picardo (ETSU) d, Bermeo/Bolton (DAV) 8-5
3. M. Serrano/S.Serrano (ETSU) d. Joe Cheaney/Simihaian (DAV) 9-8 (5)
1. Oscar Posada (ETSU) d. Donald Miles (DAV) 6-4, 6-3
2. Fernando Fiuri (ETSU) d. Flaviu Simihaian (DAV) 7-6 (4), 6-3
3. Felix Insaurralde (ETSU) d. John Bolton (DAV) 6-1, 6-1
4. Moisés Serrano (ETSU) d. Daniel Bermeo (DAV) 7-5, 6-2
5. Russ Burns (DAV) d. Lisandro Picardo (ETSU) 4-6, 7-6 (3), 10-5
6. Daniel Escobedo (ETSU) d. Jay Chitty (DAV) 6-3, 6-3