|News » Archives|
Men's tennis defeats The Citadel 4-1 to advance to finals
Saturday, April 23, 2005
CHARLESTON, S.C. (April 23, 2005) -The No. 1 seeded East Tennessee State men's tennis team defeated fourth seeded The Citadel in the semifinals of the SoCon Championship Tennis Tournament at the Earle Tennis Center on The Citadel campus on Saturday afternoon to advance to the semifinals. East Tennessee State (19-3 overall) picks up their 17th straight win and ends the season for The Citadel.
The Bucs garnered the doubles point for the early lead against The Citadel. Felix Insaurralde (Asunción, Paraguay) and Lisandro Picardo (Mar del Plata, Argentina) led the way picking up the first win at the No. 2 slot over David Lara and James Eason in an 8-1 decision. Then the point was decided with Moisés Serrano (Cartagena, Colombia) and Sebastian Serrano (Cartagena, Colombia) taking the match against Ananda Sawmynaden and Derek Jose, 8-6.
At singles action, The Citadel picked up a point with Danny Dossetor's win at No. 1, but the Bucs would take the next three singles matches. Match wins would come for the Bucs from Insaurralde at No. 2 (6-3, 6-0), S. Serrano at No. 6 (6-2, 6-1) and Picardo at No. 5 (6-1, 6-3).
"Everyone played solid and we won where we needed to," said Head Coach Yaser Zaatini. "Tomorrow's match will be a battle because everyone enters the tournament with a clean slate and we need to be prepared."
The Bucs will now face the winner of the UT Chattanooga and College of Charleston match in the finals on Sunday, April 24 beginning at 2:00 p.m.
ETSU 4, The Citadel 1
1. Posada/Fiuri (ETSU) vs. Dossetor/Eason (CIT) 8-1
2. Picardo/Insaurralde (ETSU) d. Lara/Medica (CIT) 8-6
3. M. Serrano/S.Serrano (ETSU) vs. Sawmynaden/Jose (CIT) DNF
Order: 2, 3
1. Danny Dossetor (CIT) d. Oscar Posada (ETSU) 4-4 ret.
2. Felix Insaurralde (ETSU) d. Ananda Sawmynaden (CIT) 6-3, 6-0
3. Fernando Fiuri (ETSU) vs. James Eason (CIT) DNF
4. Moisés Serrano (ETSU) vs. David Lara (CIT) DNF
5. Lisandro Picardo (ETSU) d. Nick Medica (CIT) 6-1, 6-3
6. Luis Sebastian Serrano (ETSU) d. Derek Jose (CIT) 6-2, 6-1
Order: 1, 2, 6, 5*
*- Clinching Point