|News » Archives|
Men's tennis falls in first round of NCAA Tournament to No. 14 Tennessee, 4-0
Saturday, May 14, 2005
KNOXVILLE, Tenn. (May 14, 2005) - The East Tennessee State University men's tennis team fell to No. 14 the University of Tennessee by a score of 4-0 on Saturday afternoon at the Goodfriend Indoor Tennis Center on the UT campus.
After a one hour and 40 minute weather delay, double's action in the first match of the day finally began. The No. 2 slot finished first with UT's Mark Dietrich and Morgan Wilson overpowering the ETSU duo of Felix Insaurralde (Asunción, Paraguay) and Lisandro Picardo (Mar del Plata, Argentina) in an 8-2 battle. Then Moisés Serrano (Cartagena, Colombia) and Sebastian Serrano (Cartagena, Colombia) fell at the No. 3 slot in an 8-5 battle against UT's Bobby Cameron and Kaden Hensel to decide the doubles point. At No. 1 doubles, the Bucs' Oscar Posada (Valencia, Venezuela) and Fernando Fiuri (Villa Maria, Argentina) fought neck and neck with UT's Ockie Oosthuizen and Ben Rogers, ranked No. 9 by the ITA, with UT leading the Bucs by only one (6-5) before the Vols took the doubles point with the win at the third slot.
With UT leading 1-0 the Bucs knew every singles point was critical and they would need to come out fighting. However, the Vols would outlast the Bucs to take the first three singles points to seal the fate for ETSU.
The first singles point was decided on the third court where team captain Fiuri fought hard but fell 7-6, 6-0 to Tennessee's Oosthizen. Then in a grueling contest the Bucs No. 1 player Posada fell to No. 54 Dietrich 6-4, 7-0. The final point for the Vols came at the No. 4 singles slot where Wilson defeated M. Serrano 6-1, 7-6.
"It gets old, always making it this far and not getting through (to the second round)," commented ETSU Head Coach Yaser Zaatini. "Tennessee is a solid team, and you have to play well to beat them, and have all the breaks go your way, and we were not able to win any of the tiebreakers."
The Bucs finish their season with a 20-4 record ending an 18 match winning streak. Their season included their second consecutive perfect records in the Southern Conference in both regular season and tournament play, which led them to their fourth NCAA appearance. With the win Tennessee advances to face the winner of the OhioState-Brown match on Sunday, May 15 at 1:00 p.m.
1. Posada/Fiuri (ETSU) vs. Ockie Oosthuizen/Ben RogersNo. 9 (UT) DNF [UT leading 6-5]
2. Mark Dietrich/Morgan Wilson (UT) d. Picardo/Insaurralde (ETSU) 8-2
3. Bobby Cameron/Kaden Hensel (UT) d. M. Serrano/S.Serrano (ETSU) 8-5
Order: 2, 3
1. Mark DietrichNo. 54 (UT) d. Oscar PosadaNo. 70 (ETSU) 6-4, 7-6
2. Felix Insaurralde (ETSU) vs. Bobby Cameron (UT) DNF [UT leading 3-6, 6-1, 3-1]
3. Ockie Oosthuizen (UT) d. Fernando Fiuri (ETSU) 7-6, 6-0
4. Morgan Wilson (UT) d. Moisés Serrano (ETSU) 6-1, 7-6
5. Lisandro Picardo (ETSU) vs. Kiril Tcherveniachki (UT) DNF [ETSU leading 2-0]
6. Luis Sebastian Serrano (ETSU) vs. Kaden Hensel (UT) DNF
Order: 3, 1, 4*
*- Clinching Point