|News » Archives|
Men's Tennis Defeats Georgia Southern, 5-2
Sunday, April 16, 2000
JOHNSON CITY, Tenn. -- The East Tennessee State University men's tennis team defeated Georgia Southern, 5-2, in Southern Conference action today at the ETSU Outdoor courts. It was the Bucs' fifth consecutive win.
ETSU (16-7, 8-0 Southern Conference) began the match by winning at No. 1 and No. 2 doubles. The Bucs followed with powerful singles play, winning four of the six matches. Gustavo Gomez (No. 1), Marcos Pavlovich (No. 2), Juan Yannuzzi (No. 4) and Matt Keeter (No. 6) all won in straight sets.
With his two singles victories this weekend, Marcos Pavlovich has improved to 31-9 on the season. His 31 singles victories ties him for third on ETSU's All-Time Single-Season Win List.
Georgia Southern fell to 12-8 overall, 5-2 in the Southern Conference.
"We started off by winning two doubles matches and that set the tone for us," head coach Dave Mullins said. "I thought we had a strong team effort today."
The Bucs have won their last 20 matches against Southern Conference schools. The Bucs were 12-0 last season and have started this campaign 8-0.
ETSU will return to action on Tuesday April 18 at 2:30 p.m. when it hosts UNC Greensboro. With a win against the Spartans, ETSU will clinch at least a tie for the Southern Conference Championship.
1. Gustavo Gomez (ETSU) def. Kendall Swartz (GSU) 6-2, 6-4
2. Marcos Pavlovich (ETSU) def. Ryan O'Keefe (GSU) 6-2, 6-4
3. Florian Scheidat (GSU) def. Roberto Fernandez (ETSU) 7-5, 1-6, 6-3
4. Juan Yannuzzi (ETSU) def. Darren Clark (GSU) 6-3, 6-2
5. Jesper Andersson (GSU) def. Anthony Bugge (ETSU) 6-2, 6-3
6. Matt Keeter (ETSU) def. Uli Ebensperger (GSU) 7-5, 7-5
1. Gomez/Fernandez (ETSU) def. Swartz/O'Keefe (GSU) 8-2
2. Pavlovich/Yannuzzi (ETSU) def. Clark/Alex Franqui (GSU) 8-3
3. Wojciech Nowak/Andersson (GSU) def. Nava/Keeter (ETSU) 8-1