Thursday, September 19, 2013
Bucs host Furman, look to extend shutout streak
JOHNSON CITY, Tenn. (Sept. 19, 2013) – Entering the weekend with the second-best goals against average in the nation, ETSU will look to build on its shutout streak of nearly 425 minutes when it hosts Furman Friday, Sept. 20 at 7:00 p.m. The Buccaneers have not allowed a goal since Aug. 30.
LAST TIME OUT
- The Buccaneers (2-1-2) picked up their first win over a Top 10 team in program history when they knocked off No. 8 UAB, 1-0, on the Blazers’ home pitch.
- ETSU held UAB, who entered last weekend as the nation’s highest-scoring offense, to no goals on just eight shot attempts.
- Senior goalkeeper Ryan Coulter (Dublin, Ireland) recorded his fourth consecutive shutout, garnering Atlantic Sun Defensive Player of the Week honors and moving to third place in Atlantic Sun history for career shutouts (19).
- Coulter ranks fourth in the nation for goals against average (0.184) and sixth for save percentage (.941).
- ETSU’s team goals against average of 0.184 is tied with Hartford for No. 2 ranking in the nation, behind Army’s flawless mark of zero goals allowed through five games.
- The Buccaneers have not lost at Summers-Taylor Stadium since Sept. 30, 2012.
SCOUTING THE PALADINS
- The Paladins (4-1-0) enter the contest riding a three-match win streak, including wins over Vermont, Presbyterian, and College of Charleston.
- Furman is 1-1-0 this season against Top 25 teams, beating No. 22 Xavier, 4-3, in overtime, and narrowly falling to No. 8 Akron, 1-0.
- The Paladins are paced by Bobby Edet (three goals) and Martin Ontiveros (two goals, two assists).
- Furman leads the all-time series with ETSU 3-0-2; however the Bucs tied No. 25 Furman, 1-1, in Greenville, S.C., last season.
- Both teams will enter the contest with regional rankings, with Furman ranking fifth in the NSCAA South Region and ETSU ranking eighth.
- Live stats for the game can be accessed here.
FOLLOW THE BUCS
- Receive live game updates and behind-the-scenes access of ETSU Men’s Soccer by following the newly-launched Twitter handle, @ETSUMSoccer.
- ETSU fans wanting to receive Buccaneer news, score updates, in-game promotions and much more sent to their mobile device can do so by signing up for “Buc Updates.” Click here to sign up today!
- For more information on Buccaneer athletics, visit ETSUBucs.com.