|Win: DOANE (2-0)||9.0||6||0||0||1||5|
|Loss: Bielak (1-1)||7.0||4||3||1||0||4|
|Win: FREEMAN (3-0)||2.1||2||0||0||1||3|
|Loss: Davis (0-1)||2.0||4||3||1||0||2|
|Win: Houseal (1-2)||7.1||7||2||2||2||4|
|Loss: NESSELT (1-1)||3.0||9||8||5||4||3|
Thursday, February 28, 2013
JOHNSON CITY, Tenn. (Feb. 28, 2013) – Coming off its first and only road game until mid-March, the ETSU baseball team returns home for a seven-game homestand, beginning this weekend when Marist visits Thomas Stadium for a three-game series.
GAME TIMES / PITCHING ROTATION
- Friday - 3:05 p.m. – Thomas Stadium
RHP Kerry Doane (1-0, 2.40 ERA) vs. RHP Chris Bielak (1-0, 0.00 ERA)
- Saturday - 4:05 p.m. – Thomas Stadium
RHP Griffin Krieg (1-0, 5.19 ERA) vs. RHP Kevin McCarthy (1-0, 2.45 ERA)
- Sunday - 1:05 p.m. – Thomas Stadium
RHP Jimmy Nesselt (1-0, 3.00 ERA) vs. RHP Brett Houseal (0-2, 11.32 ERA)
LAST TIME OUT FOR THE BUCS
- The Bucs (6-2) saw their six-game winning streak come to an end Tuesday afternoon when ETSU’s rally fell short as Tennessee hung on for a 9-7 victory from Lindsey Nelson Stadium. ETSU – who scored five runs in the fourth and two more in the seventh – had the tying run on second with one out in the ninth, but Trevor Bettencourt picked up the save after striking out Alex Reynolds (Johnson City, Tenn.) swinging and forcing Jordan Sanford (Powell, Tenn.) to pop out to short.
- Senior Derek Niesman (Wellington, Fla.) led the Blue and Gold by going 2-for-3 with a home run and two RBI, while Sanford and Chris Riopedre (Miami, Fla.) both drove in a pair of runs. Meanwhile, Derek Bushey (Richmond, Va.), Sam Eichler (Mission Viejo, Calif.), Logan Rice (Erwin, Tenn.) and Will Chesney (Knoxville, Tenn.) all gave the Bucs solid efforts on the mound. The four hurlers combined for 5.2 scoreless innings, but the Vols’ offense capitalized on a six-run third and a three-run fifth to come away with the victory.
- Marist has split its first four games of the season as the Red Foxes defeated Boston College (9-3) and Charleston Southern (2-1).
- The Red Foxes – who have made six appearances in the NCAA Regional – were picked to finish fourth in the Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference, while senior shortstop Zach Shank was named to the preseason all-conference team.
- Zach Shank enters the weekend hitting .563 (9-16) with a double and four runs scored, while Chris Bielak and Kevin McCarthy are a combined 2-0 with a 1.69 ERA (3 ER/16.0 IP).
- Marist pitchers haven’t allowed a home run in its first 30.0 innings pitched this season, and despite being outscored 24-14 in the first four games, the Red Foxes have only been outhit by one, 35-34.
- ETSU and Marist have met three previous times with the Bucs taking two of three from the Red Foxes in the opening weekend of the 2011 season.
- Andrew Green (Powell, Tenn.) went 4-for-9 (.444) with two runs scored, two RBI, and three stolen bases in two starts versus Marist, while Bushey made two relief appearances and held the Red Foxes scoreless in 3.0 innings.
- Coach Skole’s teams are 20-3 all-time against current MAAC foes – 5-0 vs. Niagara, 4-0 vs. St. Peter’s, 3-0 vs. Manhattan, 1-0 vs. Siena, 2-1 vs. Marist, and 5-2 vs. Rider.
- Live stats will be available for all three games this weekend via StatBroadcast by visiting ETSUBucs.com. Fans can access live stats on their computers, mobile devices or tablets.
- Live updates will also be posted on Twitter by following @ETSUAthletics and @ETSU_Baseball.
- Single game tickets to ETSU baseball games are $10 for seats behind home plate and $5 for seats along the baselines. Tickets can be purchased at the stadium, online at ETSUBucs.com, or by calling (423) 439-3878.
- Come out to Thomas Stadium early and tailgate prior to ETSU baseball games this season. A designated tailgating area will be roped off in the parking lot where fans can enjoy a festive environment before the Bucs take the field.
- Click here for tailgating guidelines.
- Starting this Saturday and for the rest of the Saturday home games this season, the most spirited tailgating group will receive a free Bojangles tailgate dinner coupon.
ETSU fans wanting to receive Buccaneer news, score updates, in-game promotions and much more sent to their mobile device can do so by signing up for “Buc Updates.” Click here to sign up today!
For more information on Buccaneer baseball, visit ETSUBucs.com and click on the baseball link.
- The Bucs have won six straight home games for the first time since winning eight straight from April 23-May 14, 2011.
- ETSU has hit at least one home run in the first eight games this season and the Bucs are tied for first in the A-Sun with 14 total homers.
- The Blue and Gold also lead the A-Sun in triples (4).
- Derek Niesman, Andrew Green and Clinton Freeman have reached base safely in the first eight games this season.
|Copyright ©2013 East Tennessee State Athletics. All Rights Reserved.||www.ETSUBucs.com|