Saturday, February 20, 2010
WINTSTON-SALEM, N.C. (Feb. 20, 2010) - Returning to action for the first time in over a week the No. 60 ETSU men's tennis team dropped a 6-1 decision at No. 16 Wake Forest, Saturday afternoon, inside the Wake Forest Tennis Center in Winston-Salem, N.C.
With the loss ETSU fell to 2-5 this season, while the Demon Deacons improved to 4-1.
As play opened the Bucs came out flat as Wake Forest held on with wins in two doubles matches. ETSU's lone victory came as freshman Jesus Bandres (Caracas, Venezuela) and sophomore Sander Gille (Kuringen, Belgium) pulled through with a 8-3 triumph over the Wake freshmen team of Zack Leslie and Danny Kreyman.
"The biggest thing we didn't do early was execute," said head coach Yaser Zaatini. "We had some chances to get back into some matches and we couldn't hold our serve, which made it difficult for the guys to capitalize on certain opportunities."
After Wake's quick 1-0 lead, the Demon Deacons continued their onslaught in singles. Junior Jon Wolff, 74th-ranked freshman Tripper Carleton, and 117th-ranked junior Iain Atkinson closed out the win for the home team with straight sets wins at No. 3, No. 1 and No. 4.
After senior Steve Forman extend the Wake advantage to 5-0 with a long three-set win over Gille at No. 2, the Bucs finally got on the board as sophomore Robin Akser (Ornskoldsvik, Sweden) outlasted Leslie at the No. 5 position 6-1, 4-6, (10-5).
Freshman Juan Ramirez (Asuncion, Paraguay) closed out the scores as he fell to Kreyman in straight sets 6-3, 6-2.
"In singles I thought Sander and Robin did some good things," Zaatini said. "Both guys battled extremely hard from the start of their match to the finish. I hated to see Sander fall just short, but on the flip side it was good to see Robin find a way to win in his contest."
ETSU returns to action in one week with a 2:30 p.m., contest next Saturday at No. 7 Georgia.
Wake Forest 6, ETSU 1
1. #12 Forman/Atkinson (WFU) d. Grega Teraz/Charles Bottoni (ETSU) 8-3
2. Sander Gille/Jesus Bandres (ETSU) d. Leslie/Kreyman (WFU) 8-3
3. Wolff/ Carleton (WFU) d. Daniel Isaza/Robin Asker (ETSU) 8-3
Order of Finish: 3, 1, 2
1. #74 Frank "Tripper" Carleton (WFU) d. Grega Teraz (ETSU) 6-0, 6-2
2. Steve Forman (WFU) d. Sander Gille (ETSU) 7-6(4), 6-7(5), 7-6(4)
3. Jon Wolff (WFU) d. Jesus Bandres (ETSU) 6-0, 6-1
4. #117 lain Atkinson (WFU) d. Daniel Isaza (ETSU) 7-6(1), 6-4
5. Robin Akser (ETSU) d. Zach Leslie (WFU) 6-1, 4-6, 1-0(10-5)
6. Danny Kreyman (WFU) d. Juan Ramirez (ETSU) 6-3, 6-2
For more information on the ETSU men's tennis team please visit www.ETSUBucs.com.
|Copyright ©2013 East Tennessee State Athletics. All Rights Reserved.||www.ETSUBucs.com|