Friday, March 04, 2005
CHARLESTON, S.C. (Mar. 4, 2005) - The East Tennessee State women's tennis team continues its winning streak with a 4-3 victory against the College of Charleston on Friday afternoon at Patriot's Point. The Buccaneers remain perfect in SoCon action picking up their third win and are 9-2 overall, while the Cougars fall to 0-1 in the SoCon and 3-3 overall.
The Bucs started the match by taking the doubles point. Olya Batsula (Minsk, Belarus) and Gemma Halim (Jakarta, Indonesia) of ETSU defeated Jenna Marks and Priscilla Roberts 8-2 at No. 3. The Cougars then won a doubles match at the No. 2 position, but ETSU's Masha Ilina (Kyiv, Ukraine) and Sylwia Ziolkowska (Warsaw, Poland) would win their match at No. 1 over Gabriella Moreira and Lauren Stewart for the point.
In singles action, the Bucs and Cougars battled back and forth for the lead. Playing No. 4, Sandie Knight (Adamstown, Australia) won her match against Chelsea Albertz 6-0, 6-3 to put the match score at 2-0. College of Charleston would then take the points at the first and second slots to even the score at 2-2. The Bucs' Ziolkowska then pulled out a win at No. 3 against Maxine Capewell in a 6-2, 1-6, 7-6 (2) decision. Halim then lost a tough battle at No. 6 to Roberts (4-6, 6-4, 7-5). With the deciding point remaining attention focused on court five, where Batsula defeated Stewart in a thrilling 6-1, 4-6, 7-6 (4) victory.
"College of Charleston was picked second in the SoCon and they are that good. Both teams played hard and in the end we came out ahead, " stated head coach Steve Brooks. "We are very appreciative of the men's team coming out to our game and we wouldn't have won without them cheering us on."
The Bucs will now enjoy a brief rest before returning to the road as they travel to Florida to face Stetson on Tuesday, March 8 at 10:00 a.m. in Deland, Fla. followed by a stop in Jacksonville Fla. on March to pair up against Jacksonville.
"We look forward to playing future A-Sun opponents Stetson and Jacksonville," commented Brooks. "Both teams are tough and it will be a good challenge for us."
East Tennessee State 4, College of Charleston 3
1. Ilina/Ziolkowska (ETSU) d. Gabriella Moreira/Lauren Stewart (CofC) 9-8 (5)
2. Rachel Magory/Maxine Capewell (CofC) d. Knight/Volobueva (ETSU) 8-4
3. Batsula/Halim (ETSU) d. Jenna Marks/Priscilla Roberts (CofC) 8-2
Order of Finish: 3,2,1
1. Rachel Magory (CofC) d. Elena Volobueva (ETSU) 6-2, 6-1
2. Gabriella Moreira (CofC) d. Masha Ilina (ETSU) 6-3, 6-2
3. Sylwia Ziolkowska (ETSU) d. Maxine Capewell (CofC) 6-2, 1-6, 7-6 (2)
4. Sandie Knight (ETSU) d. Chelsea Albertz (CofC) 6-0, 6-3
5. Olya Batsula (ETSU) d. Lauren Stewart (CofC) 6-1, 4-6, 7-6 (4)
6. Priscilla Roberts (CofC) d. Gemma Halim (ETSU) 4-6, 6-4, 7-5
Order of Finish: 4,1,2,3,6,5*
* - Clinching Point
|Copyright ©2014 East Tennessee State Athletics. All Rights Reserved.||www.ETSUBucs.com|