Friday, April 22, 2005
CHARLESTON, S.C. (April 22, 2005) - The No. 1 seeded East Tennessee State men's tennis team defeated the No. 9 seed Appalachian State 4-0 on the Farmfield Courts in their first match of the SoCon Championship Tournament on Friday morning to advance to the semifinals. East Tennessee State picks up their 16th straight win and are now 18-3 overall, while the Mountaineers end their season with a 9-14 record.
The Bucs started the match by earning the doubles point with wins at the No. 1 and 3 slots. Oscar Posada (Valencia, Venezuela) and Fernando Fiuri (Villa Maria, Argentina) defeated Ryan Brookshaw and Andrew Taylor 8-1, while Moisés Serrano (Cartagena, Colombia) and Sebastian Serrano (Cartagena, Colombia) defeated Alex Probst and Robert Hogewood 8-5.
At singles ETSU picked up three singles wins to clinch the Buccaneer victory. Those wins came from Posada at No. 1 (6-1, 6-0), Felix Insaurralde (Asunción, Paraguay) at No. 2 (6-2, 6-1) and Lisandro Picardo (Mar del Plata, Argentina) at No. 5 (6-1, 6-3).
The Bucs will now face The Citadel, who is the fourth seed, in the semifinals of the SoCon Tournament tomorrow beginning at 1:00 p.m. at the Earle Tennis Center on The Citadel campus.
ETSU 4, Appalachian State 0
1. Posada/Fiuri (ETSU) d. Brookshaw/Taylor (ASU) 8-1
2. Picardo/Insaurralde (ETSU) d. Dimitrov/Waters (ASU) DNF
3. M. Serrano/S.Serrano (ETSU) d. Probst/Robert Hogewood (ASU) 8-5
1. Oscar Posada (ETSU) d. Alex Probst (ASU) 6-1, 6-0
2. Felix Insaurralde (ETSU) d. Dimitar Dimitrov (ASU) 6-2, 6-1
3. Fernando Fiuri (ETSU) vs. Ryan Brookshaw (ASU) DNF
4. Moisés Serrano (ETSU) vs. Andrew Waters (ASU) DNF
5. Lisandro Picardo (ETSU) d. Andrew Taylor (ASU) 6-1, 6-3
|Copyright ©2014 East Tennessee State Athletics. All Rights Reserved.||www.ETSUBucs.com|