JOHNSON CITY, Tenn. (April 5, 2014) - Handily dispatching Kennesaw State, 7-0, the 66th-ranked ETSU men's tennis team remained unbeaten in Atlantic Sun competition and pushed its win streak to eight matches. The Bucs haven't suffered a setback since Feb. 23.
The Buccaneers (11-8, 6-0) began the day by taking the doubles point thanks to wins by the duos of Sebastian Yllera (Cinco Saltos, Argentina) and Conner Huertas Del Pino (Lima, Peru), and Diego Nunez (Lima, Peru) and Ismael Merino (Monterrey, Mexico).
Yllera and Huertas made quick work of David Durham and Jake Bouchillon at No. 3 doubles, earning a convincing 8-1 victory. With the win, the duo extended its win streak to five matches.
Meanwhile, Merino and Nunez defeated Jorge Wilton and Maksim Yorsh, 8-3, at the No. 1 spot.
The Bucs won all six singles points en route to clinching the 7-0 victory, improving their mark to 5-0 at the Dave Mullins Tennis Complex this season.
Five ETSU players now have win streaks of five or more matches, with Merino and Yllera owning team-best marks of seven consecutive singles wins.
Nunez and senior Roger Ordeig (Gurb, Spain) each won in third-set super tie-breakers, while Huertas came from behind to beat David Durham, 3-6, 6-1, 7-5, at No. 5 singles.
The Bucs will look to continue their winning ways as they host Mercer Saturday, April 12 at 11:00 a.m. The match will be the Bucs' final regular season match before taking part in the Atlantic Sun Championships April 17-19 in Jacksonville, Fla.
Currently, ETSU (6-0) is one of two A-Sun teams with perfect records in league play, with North Florida sporting a 5-0 record.
Between doubles and singles play of Saturday's season finale versus Mercer, ETSU will recognize its lone outgoing senior, Ordeig.
#66 ETSU 7, Kennesaw State 0
1. David Biosca (ETSU) def. Simon Pritchard (KSU) 6-3, 6-2
2. Sebastian Yllera (ETSU) def. Maksim Yorsh (KSU) 6-2, 6-3
3. Diego Nunez (ETSU) def. Jorge Wilton (KSU) 6-1, 5-7, 10-3
4. Ismael Merino (ETSU) def. Louis Theodor (KSU) 6-1, 6-0
5. Conner Huertas (ETSU) def. David Durham (KSU) 3-6, 6-1, 7-5
6. Roger Ordeig (ETSU) def. Jake Bouchillon (KSU) 7-5, 3-6, 10-6
1. Ismael Merino/Diego Nunez (ETSU) def. Jorge Wilton/Maksim Yorsh (KSU) 8-3
2. Roger Ordeig/David Biosca (ETSU) vs. Simon Pritchard/Louis Theodor (KSU) 5-5, unfinished
3. Sebastian Yllera/Conner Huertas (ETSU) def. David Durham/Jake Bouchillon (KSU) 8-1
Kennesaw State 8-10, 2-4
ETSU 11-8, 6-0; National ranking #66
Order of finish: Doubles (3,1); Singles (4,2,1,3,5,6)
FOLLOW THE BUCS