Johnson City, Tenn. (February 2, 2002) - The East Tennessee State University men's tennis team earned their first victory this season over the 72nd-ranked Memphis Tigers at the Goodfriend Indoor Tennis Center in Knoxville, Tenn. Saturday night.
In doubles play, the Tigers clinched the doubles point with two wins. The Memphis duo of Joe Schmulian and Richard Magney defeated ETSU's Marcos Pavlovich (Otamendi, Argentina) and Pablo Sahagun (Cuernavaca, Mexico) in a tough match 8-6. Diego Iglesias (Mar Del Plata, Argentina) and Roberto Fernandez (Cuernavaca, Mexico) lost to Ben Stapp and Taylor Lee Walker.
In singles competition, Pavlovich defeated Schmulian at the No. 1 position, 6-3, 7-5. In the No. 2 match, Sahagun earned a win by beating Magney 6-4, 6-2. Team captain Fernandez won his singles match, 6-2 and 6-4, over Ben Stapp. Iglesias won his match in the No. 4 match in three sets over Walker. Memphis would not quit. Alex Bucewicz defeated Alejandro Salazar (Arequipa, Peru)in three sets, 5-7, 6-2, 10-4. Michael Chamberlain beat ETSU's Federico Ochoa (Manizales, Colombia) 6-2, 6-2.
ETSU 4, #72 Memphis 3
1) Schmulian/Magney (UM) def. Pavlovich/Sahagun (ETSU) 8-6*
2) Stapp/Walker (UM) def. Fernandez/Iglesias (ETSU) 8-1
3) Bucewicz/LaHaie vs. Salazar/Ochoa (ETSU) DNF
1) Marcos Pavlovich (ETSU) def. Joe Schulian (UM) 6-3, 7-5
2) Pablo Sahagun (ETSU) def. Richard Magney (UM) 6-4, 6-2
3) Roberto Fernandez (ETSU) def. Ben Stapp (UM) 6-2, 6-4
4) Diego Iglesias (ETSU) def. Lee Taylor Walker (UM) 3-6, 6-2, ret.
5) Alex Bucewicz (UM) def. Alejandro Salazar (ETSU) 5-7, 6-2, 10-4
6) Michael Chamberlain (UM) def. Federico Ochoa (ETSU) 6-2, 6-2