RALEIGH, N.C. (Feb. 21, 2004) - East Tennessee State took the doubles point from N.C. State, but the Wolfpack rallied to win five of six singles matches to defeat the Bucs, 5-2, Saturday afternoon from Raleigh, N.C.
In winning the doubles point, East Tennessee State (4-4) was victorious in two of three matches. The Buccaneer team of freshman Oscar Posada (Valencia, Venezuela) and senior Alejandro Salazar (Arequipa, Peru) defeated Will Shaw and Jon Davis of N.C. State, 8-6, at No. 1. The Bucs then picked up another win as junior Fernando Fiuri (Villa Maria, Argentina) and freshman Felix Insaurralde (Asunción, Paraguay) were victorious over Val Banada and Andre Iriarte, 8-6, at No. 2. The lone N.C. State doubles win came as Conor Taylor and Dennis Myers defeated senior Diego Iglesias (Mar del Plata, Argentina) and junior Moises Serrano (Bucaramanga, Colombia) 9-8 at No. 3.
Down, 1-0, the Wolfpack (3-3) regrouped and won singles matches as No. 1, 3, 4, 5 and 6. The Bucs came away with the singles point at No. 2.
At No. 1 singles, N.C. State's Taylor defeated ETSU's Salazar, 7-5, 6-4. Posada had the Bucs only singles victory, winning his third straight match, 6-3, 6-3 over Banada at No. 2. At No. 3, Shaw of N.C. State defeated ETSU's Iglesias, in a tough three-set match, 3-6, 6-4, 6-4.
The Wolfpack picked up another point at No. 4, as Iriarte downed East Tennessee State's Serrano, 6-3, 6-0. ETSU's Fiuri fell to N.C. State's Davis at No. 5 in another three set match, 6-0, 3-6, 6-2. N.C. State won the final singles match as William Noblitt was victorious at No. 6 over ETSU's Insaurralde, 6-3, 6-4.
The Bucs return to the courts for their Southern Conference opener as they face Georgia Southern Feb. 29 from Statesboro, Ga.
N.C. State 5, ETSU 2
1. Conor Taylor (NCS) def. Alejandro Salazar (ETSU), 7-5, 6-4
2. Oscar Posada (ETSU) def. Val Banada (NCS), 6-3, 6-3
3. Will Shaw (NCS) def. Diego Iglesias (ETSU), 3-6, 6-4, 6-4
4. Andre Iriarte (NCS) def. Moises Serrano (ETSU), 6-3, 6-0
5. Jon Davis (NCS) def. Fernando Fiuri (ETSU), 6-0, 3-6, 6-2
6. William Noblitt (NCS) def. Felix Insaurralde (ETSU), 6-3, 6-4
1. Posada/Salazar (ETSU) def. Shaw/Davis (NCS), 8-6
2. Insaurralde/Fiuri (ETSU) def. Banada/Iriarte (NCS), 8-6
3. Taylor/Myers (NCS) def. Serrano/Iglesias (ETSU), 9-8