|Men's Golf » News » Schedule » Roster » Coaches » Statistics|
Men’s golf gears up for Furman Intercollegiate
Thursday, March 21, 2013
Three-day tournament begins Friday
GREENVILLE, S.C. (March 21, 2013) – The ETSU men’s golf team heads to Greenville, S.C. to compete in the 44th annual Furman Intercollegiate, which begins Friday morning at the Furman University Golf Club.
LAST TIME OUT FOR THE BUCS
- The Bucs are coming off a fifth-place finish at the General Hackler Championship back on March 11-12 at the TPC Myrtle Beach.
- Freshman Chris Hickman (Centreville, Md.) led the Blue and Gold as he tied for 14th. Hickman registered 13 birdies in the tournament and finished the third round with an even-par 72.
- Fellow freshman Adrian Meronk (Wroclaw, Poland) also placed in the top-20 after tying for 17th.
ABOUT THE TOURNAMENT
- ETSU has won this tournament four times, while Skeeter Heath (1975) and Keith Nolan (1994) captured individual titles for the Bucs.
- The teams will play 18 holes each day, with the team and individual champion being crowned on Sunday.
- Clemson has won the last three team titles, but the Tigers won’t be defending the title this weekend as they will be competing in the Hootie at Bulls Bay Intercollegiate.
- The Furman Intercollegiate has included a list of familiar names over the years. Past winners include Curtis Strange, Jay Haas, Mark Calcavecchia, Billy Andrade, Matt Kuchar and Brad Faxon.
- The field consists of 21 teams, with three teams being ranked in the top-50 of the Golfweek/Sagarin ratings and eight in the top-100.
- Joining the Bucs and Paladins are Akron, Charleston Southern, No. 44 Chattanooga, Dartmouth, Francis Marion, Gardner-Webb, Georgia State, Iowa State, Marshall, No. 14 North Florida, Presbyterian, Purdue, Samford, Temple, Troy, No. 49 Virginia Tech, Western Carolina, Winthrop and Wofford.
- Three golfers rank in the top-35 in the Golfweek/Sagarin rankings as UNF’s Kevin Phelan is ranked sixth and his teammate M.J. Maguire is No. 35, while Iowa State’s Scott Fernandez is No. 24.
- The Furman University Golf Course was designed by Richard K. Webel of Long Island, N.Y., and Walter Cosby, superintendent of grounds and greens at the Greenbriar Hotel and Golf Resort.
- The course is a par-72, 6,994-yard layout.
- Since the late 1970s, the course has been the site of two outstanding college tournaments, the Furman Intercollegiate and the Lady Paladin Invitational.
- ETSU features the same lineup which includes two sophomores – Scott Gibson (Southerness, Scotland) and Rhys Pugh (Pontypridd, Wales) – and three freshmen. The freshmen include Hickman, Meronk and Gudmundur Kristjansson (Reykjavik, Iceland).
- In addition, sophomore Tom Heggarty (Cheshire, England) will compete as an individual.
- According to the latest Golfstat rakings, the Buccaneer freshman class is ranked 20th.
- The Bucs are paired up with Purdue and Virginia Tech, and will tee off at 9 a.m. from the 10th tee.
Live scoring for each of the three rounds will be available through Golfstat.com, while full recaps of each round will be available on ETSUBucs.com.
ETSU fans wanting to receive Buccaneer news, score updates, in-game promotions and much more sent to their mobile device can do so by signing up for “Buc Updates.” Click here to sign up today!
For more information on Buccaneer men’s golf, visit ETSUBucs.com and click on the men’s golf page.
Men's Golf Archives
TEAM INFO CENTER
2012-13 Men's Golf