Monday, May 04, 2009
JOHNSON CITY, Tenn. (May 4, 2009) - The ETSU men's golf program learned Monday where it will begin yet another run at the national championship.
The Buccaneers earned the sixth seed in the NCAA Central Regional, which will be played May 14-16 at The Club at Olde Stone in Alvaton, Ky. ETSU will need to finish in the Top 5 of the 14-team field to earn the program's 18th trip to the NCAA Championships.
"Of the two of three regional sites we would have preferred this was one of them," said ETSU head coach Fred Warren. "We can drive to Bowling Green, so that's positive for us. The course will play around 7,400 yards and we're looking forward to the opportunity."
The Buccaneers will face a field that includes No. 1-seeded Washington, which has won two straight events by a combined 33 shots and is considered a favorite even for the national championship. Meanwhile, a quartet of possible player of the year candidates will be in the field, including Georgia Tech's Cameron Tringale, N.C. State's Matt Hill, Washington's Nick Taylor and Marquette's Mike Van Sickle.
Live scoring from the regionals will be available on Golfstat.com, and full recaps of the day's play will be accessible each evening at ETSUBucs.com. For a full listing of the Central Regional field, please see below:
1. (4) Washington - Pac-10 champion
2. (7) Georgia Tech - ACC champion
3. (23) N.C. State
4. (18) UCLA
5. (27) Mississippi
6. (40) East Tennessee State
7. (44) Duke
8. (43) Louisville - Big East champion
9. (50) Ohio State
10. (45) Vanderbilt
11. (70) Middle Tennessee State - Sun Belt champion
12. (101) Austin Peay State - Ohio Valley champion
13. (179) Cleveland State - Horizon League champion
14. (253) Bucknell - Patriot League champion
1. (10) Mike Van Sickle, Marquette
2. (115) Sebastian MacLean, Xavier
3. (228) Trey Bowling, Eastern Kentucky
4. (271) Tyler Duncan, Purdue
5. (NR) John Montgomery, Alabama State
|Copyright ©2014 East Tennessee State Athletics. All Rights Reserved.||www.ETSUBucs.com|