|Baseball » News » Schedule » Roster » Coaches » Statistics|
Bucs wrap up homestand this weekend against Hartford
East Tennessee State (6-7)
3/7/2014 | Johnson City, Tenn. | Attendance: 521
East Tennessee State (7-7)
3/8/2014 | Johnson City, Tenn. | Attendance: 469
East Tennessee State (7-8)
3/9/2014 | Johnson City, Tenn. | Attendance: 486
Thursday, March 06, 2014
JOHNSON CITY, Tenn. (March 6, 2014) – The ETSU baseball team wraps up its eight-game homestand this weekend as the Bucs host Hartford in a three-game series at Thomas Stadium.
LAST TIME OUT FOR THE BUCS
- ETSU (6-6) snapped its three-game losing skid by holding on to defeat Eastern Kentucky, 4-3, Wednesday night at Thomas Stadium.
- Freshman right-hander Jamin McCann (Kingsport, Tenn.) tossed five scoreless innings of two-hit ball to earn his first collegiate win (1-1) in his first start as a Buccaneer. McCann also struck out six hitters, which are tied for the most punch outs by an ETSU pitcher this season.
- Sophomore Trey York (Knoxville, Tenn.) belted his first collegiate home run to break up a scoreless game in the fifth, while senior Dylan Tritsch (Boca Raton, Fla.) registered the game-winning hit when his RBI single in the seventh scored Jordan Sanford (Powell, Tenn.).
- Freshman righty Chris Cook (Kingsport, Tenn.) tossed a scoreless inning in his Buccaneer debut on the mound, while senior southpaw Jared Burton (Knoxville, Tenn.) struck out two of the three hitters he faced in the seventh. Senior Clinton Freeman (Jonesborough, Tenn.) allowed two runs in the ninth, but earned the save by striking out the final Eastern Kentucky hitter on three strikes to end the contest.
- As a team, seven different players accounted for the nine Buccaneer hits, while five ETSU pitchers totaled 11 strikeouts on the nig
PITCHING ROTATION/GAME TIMES
- Hartford has dropped five of its first six games to start the season as the Hawks lost series at Georgetown and George Mason. Hartford’s lone win came last Sunday in a 4-3 decision at George Mason.
- The Hawks are led by a strong pitching staff which features junior left-hander Sean Newcomb. Newcomb, who is rated the 19th best prospect by Baseball America, has allowed one unearned run in 10.2 innings of work. The lefty has struck out 15 hitters this season and recorded 92 strikeouts in 72 innings in 2013.
- As a staff, Hartford has a 3.16 team ERA (20 ER/57.0 IP), which ranks second in the America East Conference. Opponents are hitting .249 (54-217) against Hartford pitchers, while the Hawks’ hurlers have surrendered only one home run on the year.
- At the plate, the Hawks are led by red-shirt junior outfielder Ryan Lukach and junior infielder Trey Stover. Lukach is hitting a team-high .320 (8-25) with two doubles and four runs scored, while Stover is 9 for 30 (.300) with one double, one triple and three runs scored.
- Hartford was picked to finish fourth in the America East, while Binghamton and Stony Brook were tied for first. Stony Brook advanced to the 2012 College World Series.
SERIES VS. HARTFORD
- This marks the first-ever meeting between ETSU and Hartford.
- Hartford is just the second America East foe the Bucs have faced in program history. ETSU is 3-3 all-time against Binghamton as the teams met in 2002 and 2003.
- Live stats will be available for all three games this weekend via StatBroadcast by visiting ETSUBucs.com. Fans can access live stats on their computers, mobile devices or tablets.
- Live updates will also be posted on Twitter by following @ETSUAthletics and @ETSU_Baseball.
A LOOK AHEAD
- ETSU makes its return trip to UNC Asheville on Wednesday afternoon. First pitch is set for 3 p.m.
- Single-game tickets to ETSU baseball games are $10 for reserved seats behind home plate and $5 for reserved seats along the baselines.
- Single-game tickets are $2 for groups of 10 or more people. Please call (423) 439-4828 for details.
- Tickets can be purchased at the stadium, online at ETSUBucs.com, or by calling (423) 439-3878.
- Come out to Thomas Stadium early and tailgate prior to ETSU baseball games this season. A designated tailgating area will be roped off in the parking lot where fans can enjoy a festive environment before the Bucs take the field.
- Click here for tailgating guidelines.
ETSU fans wanting to receive Buccaneer news, score updates, in-game promotions and much more sent to their mobile device can do so by signing up for “Buc Updates.” Click here to sign up today!
For more information on Buccaneer baseball, visit ETSUBucs.com and click on the baseball page.
TEAM INFO CENTER